Apricot Jam Cookie Bars Recipe
This summer inspired recipe is simple, delicious, and perfect to share! It is gluten free, vegan, and can be made without nuts if needed. A wonderful treat safe for everyone!
This homemade apricot jam is surprisingly tasty – so good that you will have to guard it from others.
Prep time: 20 min, Cook time: 1.25 hours
Homemade Apricot Jam:
- 7-10 very ripe apricots
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch + 1 tbsp water, whisked to combine
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2/3 cup melted vegan butter (I used the Miyoko’s brand)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed + 4 tbsp water, whisked to combine and set aside for at least 5 minutes
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped raw walnuts
Homemade Apricot Jam:
- Wash and roughly chop the apricots. Remove their pits and stems. There is no need to peel them. Add all of the jam ingredients except the arrowroot or cornstarch to a small saucepan. Cook the apricot mixture over low heat for approximately 30-45 minutes, stirring and mashing occasionally. When the jam has turned lighter in color and is nearly completely smooth, stir in the starch and water mixture. Allow to simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste for sweetness, adding more sugar if necessary.
- Poor the jam into a glass container and allow to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make sure to prepare the flax and water mixture in a separate bowl and allow to thicken for a few minutes. Then, combine all ingredients except the walnuts in a medium sized bowl. Mix until a dough-like mixture forms.
- Grease an 8×8” pan or pie dish with vegan butter. Divide the dough mixture in half. Scoop out one half into the greased dish and press down with your hands to form a flat layer.
- Pour the jam over the dough layer. The jam layer can be ¼” to ½” thick. If there is jam left over, pour it into an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to a week. It is great on toast, ice cream, and oatmeal!
- Add and mix in the walnuts to the remaining half of the dough mixture. Using your fingers, crumble this mixture over the jam layer.
- Bake the jam bars at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes, or until lightly browned on the top.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving. Keep leftover jam bars in the fridge.
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.