Apricot Jam Cookie Bars Recipe
This summer inspired recipe is simple, delicious, and perfect to share! It is gluten free, vegan, and can be made without nuts if needed. A wonderful treat safe for everyone!
This homemade apricot jam is surprisingly tasty – so good that you will have to guard it from others.
Prep time: 20 min, Cook time: 1.25 hours
Homemade Apricot Jam:
- 7-10 very ripe apricots
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch + 1 tbsp water, whisked to combine
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2/3 cup melted vegan butter (I used the Miyoko’s brand)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed + 4 tbsp water, whisked to combine and set aside for at least 5 minutes
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped raw walnuts
Homemade Apricot Jam:
- Wash and roughly chop the apricots. Remove their pits and stems. There is no need to peel them. Add all of the jam ingredients except the arrowroot or cornstarch to a small saucepan. Cook the apricot mixture over low heat for approximately 30-45 minutes, stirring and mashing occasionally. When the jam has turned lighter in color and is nearly completely smooth, stir in the starch and water mixture. Allow to simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste for sweetness, adding more sugar if necessary.
- Poor the jam into a glass container and allow to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make sure to prepare the flax and water mixture in a separate bowl and allow to thicken for a few minutes. Then, combine all ingredients except the walnuts in a medium sized bowl. Mix until a dough-like mixture forms.
- Grease an 8×8” pan or pie dish with vegan butter. Divide the dough mixture in half. Scoop out one half into the greased dish and press down with your hands to form a flat layer.
- Pour the jam over the dough layer. The jam layer can be ¼” to ½” thick. If there is jam left over, pour it into an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to a week. It is great on toast, ice cream, and oatmeal!
- Add and mix in the walnuts to the remaining half of the dough mixture. Using your fingers, crumble this mixture over the jam layer.
- Bake the jam bars at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes, or until lightly browned on the top.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving. Keep leftover jam bars in the fridge.
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
What’s this you ask? Why, it’s The inside scoop on the layout for EVs at Davis Farmers Market. Come early to be first in line for your electric vehicle test drive!