Cool Davis is an active network of residents, community organizations, businesses and community institutions committed to implementing the City of Davis’s Climate Action and Adaptation Plan.
Our mission is to inspire our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, adapt to a changing climate, and improve the quality of life for all.
We engage in our mission with a philosophy of fun! Climate change is serious but in order to make change we must engage all of the community and all of our creativity in the process. Cool Davis actively incorporates organizations and activities around good food, laughter, music, art, poetry, dance, visual arts, and film.
Goals and Roles
Cool Davis is committed to the goals of the City of Davis Climate Action and Adaptation Plan (D-CAAP), inspired by the California Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 (AB-32). As set out in this document, our current local goal is to reach community level carbon neutrality by 2040.
Cool Davis works in close partnership with the City of Davis to achieve these goals. Specifically, Cool Davis has taken on the task of community engagement portion of the D-CAAP. As a result we work primarily with households to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. To find out more about our work and programs, check out our How We Work page.
For more information about City of Davis Sustainability Programs, see the
We also support sustainability planning efforts with
- Yolo County
- Davis Joint Unified School District
- University of California at Davis
- Various community partners
History & Accomplishments
Since its founding, Cool Davis has:
- Engaged hundreds of households in active reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Hosted prominent public events including talks, workshops, bike rides, showcases, film screenings, and panels.
- Helped to organize Low Carbon Diet support groups across town.
- Produced the annual Cool Davis Festival attended by thousands.
- Engaged hundreds of volunteers in a range of capacities.
- Built a network of more than 80 partners.
- Established a strong collaborative relationship with the City of Davis.
- Presented annual Eco-Hero awards to dynamic change makers in our community.
- Led the effort to be named the Coolest City in California in 2013 by Cool California.
- Earned the BREATHE Clean Air award in 2014.
- Spoken out on greenhouse gas (GHG) issues locally and in the region.
- Contributed to the successful defeat of expanded oil train facilities in Benicia and San Luis Obispo.
- Earned the City of Davis Environmental Recognition Award in the nonprofit category in 2020