Spinach Artichoke Pasta Bake Recipe
I had a hunch that artichoke hearts, frozen spinach, creamy cashew sauce, and pasta would make for one delicious dish. According to my official taste testers, I was right!
This vegan pasta dish would be a great addition to any potluck or family dinner table – it is flavorful, hearty, and super filling. It is easily adaptable to gluten free diets by replacing wheat pasta with brown rice or bean-based pastas. I used chickpea pasta when I tried the recipe the first time and whole wheat pasta the second – both worked great! This dish is best served hot from the oven.
Stick to the simple recipe or add in chopped seasonal veggies like broccoli or kale. Remember to soak your cashews ahead of time to ensure a speedy cooking process!
Serves approximately 8, Prep time 20 minutes, Cook time 20 minutes
- 2 cups raw cashew pieces, soaked (combine nuts and boiling water in a bowl and let sit for at least 1 hour then drain)
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 4 medium garlic cloves, chopped roughly
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (important for flavor!)
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ tsp salt, or less depending on preferences
- 1 15 oz can artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 2 cups chopped frozen spinach (no need to defrost and drain)
- ½ cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- 16 oz pasta of choice
- Bring a large pot of water to boiling and cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Blend soaked and drained cashews, water, vinegar, lemon juice soy sauce, chopped garlic, red pepper flakes, nutritional yeast flakes, and salt in a high speed blended or food processor until very creamy and smooth. This may take up to four minutes.
- Add in the chopped artichoke hearts, frozen spinach, and sundried tomatoes to your blender or food processor and pulse to chop and incorporate these ingredients in the cashew sauce. Make sure to keep chunks of the veggies visible and do not over blend – otherwise the sauce will turn a very strange color!
- Return the drained, cooked pasta to the pot and pour in the cashew mixture. Mix using a large spoon to incorporate the sauce with the pasta. Transfer the mixture to a large casserole dish and bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. *Optional toppings before baking include a sprinkle of nutritional yeast flakes, a drizzle of olive oil, and/ or vegan meatballs. To add in the meatballs, I recommend nestling reheated frozen vegan meatballs halfway into the top of the pasta mixture before baking.*
This comforting pasta dish is sure to please everyone! Full of flavor and hearty nutrition! To find other plant-based meal ideas visit me at @coconut_katie
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
eBike Pop Up This Saturday at Farmer’s Market , check it out before your hands and arms get full with goodies!
eBike Pop Up This Saturday at Farmer’s Market - Cool Davis
Saturday May 18 at Davis Farmers Market