Tofu Scramble Recipe
Tofu scramble is a must have in any plant-based recipe arsenal! It is the perfect substitute for scrambled eggs. It also lasts well in the fridge, making it a great make ahead breakfast. You can get creative with fresh veggies from the farmer’s market and other add ins like herbs, seaweed flakes, and vegan cheese. My personal favorite way to enjoy tofu scramble is on top of crusty toast, topped with avocado!
Tofu scramble can be bland and soggy, but my recipe and method ensure every bite is delicious!
Serves 2 large portions or 4 small portions, Prep time 15 minutes, Cook time about 15 minutes
- 1 14 oz package extra firm tofu
- Approximately half a head of kale, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs yellow mustard
- 3 tbs nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp tamari or soy sauce
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Dash ground black pepper
- Chop and dice kale, bell pepper, onion, and garlic.
- Preheat a large skillet. Olive or avocado oil can be added to the pan to prevent sticking, but another option is to slowly add low sodium vegetable broth to the pan if you notice the tofu is sticking as it cooks.
- Drain the water from the tofu package and place the entire block of tofu in a large bowl. Add the seasonings and spices to the bowl, including the garlic. Keep the kale, onion, and bell pepper off to the side.
- Using a large fork, break down the block of tofu until the texture looks egg like while incorporating the seasonings and spices.
- Once the tofu mixture is ready, add the onions, kale, and tofu to the pan. Sautee the mixture for several minutes to allow the water from the tofu to cook out. Once the onions are translucent and the kale is close to tender and deep green, add the bell pepper. Continue to cook until the bell peppers are cooked, and the tofu mixture remains moist but not soggy.
- Serve the tofu scramble warm with your favorite breakfast companions like tempeh bacon, whole wheat toast, and fresh orange juice.
To see other creative and flavorful meal ideas, follow me on Instagram @coconut_katie
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Forty registered, there’s still time for you to claim your spot at this year’s Greywater Showcase.
Greywater Showcase 2019: Case Studies Rise to the Top - Cool Davis
Wednesday July 25 6-8pm Davis Senior Center