Earth Month Goings On 2022
Earth Month activities we recommend!
- Poetry Month April & May Events In partnership with the City of Davis and Poet Laureate, Julia B. Levine, Cool Davis presents three special opportunities: 1) read Swerve, Ellery Akers award-winning new book of environmental poetry, 2) participate in a reading and discussion of Swerve with Ellery, and 3) immerse yourself in a nature poetry writing workshop with Ellery and Julia (see dates below) details
- Citywide Bike Swap at Cesar Chavez Elementary School April 10 details
- Strategies for Building Resilient Communities April 13 with Lorenzo Kristov at 7pm with Yolano Group of the Sierra Club details
- DEVA (Davis Electrical Vehicle Association) Meeting April 13 6pm-7:30pm details
Sustainable Landscaping with City of Davis April 13 12pm to 1pm Register
- City of Davis Environmental Awards April 19 and 20 Regular Tuesday City Council meeting item (details) and Wednesday in-person at Peregrine School 2650 Lillard Drive in Davis at 5:30pm
- Celebrate our Rooftop Solar Campaign Goals April 20 5:30pm to 7:00pm at Peregrine School. City of Davis Environmental Recognition Awards for the past three years and a proclamation and a special celebration of our Double Up on Solar Campaign goals (to be held at Peregrine School in South Davis 2650 Lillard Drive, at the garden stage )
Backyard Composting with City of Davis April 20 12pm to 1pm Register
- Earth Day! April 22 every year!
- Sustainability of Groundwater in Yolo County April 22 Yolo County Climate Compact on Zoom 10am Register
- Climate Strike on Friday April 22 Cool Davis will be showing up for the Friday climate strike along with YCEC, YIACJ, FFCA, and others (5th and B streets at 12pm to 1pm)
- Earth Day Vigil for UC Climate Leadership April 22 12pm-1pm North steps Mrak Hall, UC Davis campus (admin building). In response to Fossil Free UCD’s request, Chancellor Gary May has directed staff to prepare a plan this year for eliminating fossil fuels. However, the university still needs to prepare a strong plan and set a date of 2030 or before for ending GHG emissions. Contact smwheelerATucdavis.edu
- Earth Day Sketch Crawl! 12:00pm-1:30pm UC Davis Earth and Physical Sciences Building (campusmap.ucdavis.edu…)
- UC Davis Earth Day Movie Screening “2040” April 22 details and more events all month long
- Earth Day Celebration 4pm-7pm at The Wardrobe 117 D Street Davis with climate activists and music
- John Barovetto Park Mulching Event #2 April 23 Join Tree Davis at the park 9am-12pm details
- Electric Vehicle Fair April 24 11am-1pm Davis United Methodist Church 1620 Anderson Rd Davis in parking lot details
- Sacramento Earth Day Festival April 24 ECOS Sacramento hosts details
The Time is Now: Showing up for the Earth April 24 10am-4pm Online Spirit Rock Meditation Center wants to uplift those feeling despair or overwhelm and inspire joyful and compassionate engagement. Musical duo MaMuse will be performing as well. Register
Leak Detection and AquaHawk with the City of Davis April 27 12pm to 1pm Register
- Elmwood Street Mural April 29 thru May 1 Lend your people and paint power to the Elmwood neighbors volunteers needed!
- Davis Loopalooza May 1 Sunday Hosted by The Bike Campaign, Bike Davis, and Safe Routes to School details
- May Is Bike Month Love to Ride platform for May Is Bike Month; visit Getting around Davis for more biking info
- Big Day of Giving May 5 Thursday www.bigdayofgiving.com/cooldavis Donations accepted up to midnight. Lots more info here
- “Swerve with Ellery Akers” May 18 Brief reading and discussion of one of the “best environmentalism books of all time” info and registration
- Whole Earth Festival at UC Davis May 6 to 8
- eBike Pop Up May 21 with DEVA and partners at Farmer’s Market (9am to 1pm – market hours)
- Nature Poetry Writing Workshop May 22 with Ellery Akers and Julia B. Levine info and registration
UC Davis Sustainability Events
|8:30 am||Nature Rx: Bird Watching in the Arboretum New!
Academic Surge Building
|Join expert birder Rob Blenk, for a walking birdwatching tour in the Arboretum. Learn techniques for using binoculars and identifying birds, and learn what feathered friends make the Arboretum their h…|
|9:00 am||Earth Day Tree Planting @ UC Davis Health Campus New!
4610 X St, Sacramento, CA 95817
|UC Davis Health and Carbon Neutrality Initiative Fellows invite you to join them on the UC Davis Health Campus in Sacramento for a tree planting event. All are welcome. Drinks and snacks will be provi…|
|12:00 pm||Earth Day Sketch Crawl! Updated!
Earth and Physical Sciences Building (campusmap.ucdavis.edu…)
|Join Sustainability and UC Davis’ renowed urban sketch artist Pete Scully as we learn about how drought and climate change has impacted our local environments and get a tutorial on how to create…|
Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) Spring Quarter at UC Davis is hosting three world class speakers addressing climate change. Register
- Steven Browning retired U.S. Ambassador and former US State Department’s coordinator for Ebola response
- Kim Stanley Robinson noted author and Davis local who participated in the 2021 UN Climate Change Conference (COP26) in Glasgow Scotland
- Craig Wilson former chief counsel to the California State Water Board and author of a book on the Kesterson reservoir disaster
The 2022 Earth Day theme is Invest in Our Planet. Search for Earth Day events nationwide or register yours here.
The reading and discussion of the award winning collection of poems entitled "Swerve" with Ellery Akers was insightful and inspiring. Join Ellery and Poet Laureate of Davis Julia B. Levine for a poetry writing workshop this Sunday. There's still time to join us! City of Davis Arts & Cultural Affairs John Natsoulas Gallery Davis Downtown Davis City #poetryindavis #daviscalifornia #daviscalifornia
www.cooldavis.org/2022/04/06/swerve-with-poet-ellery-akers/ ... See MoreSee Less
Join Ellery Akers and Poet Laureate Julia B. Levine for a poetry writing workshop Sunday 4pm. There's still time! @NatsoulasArt @UCDavisNews @CaliforniaAggie @davisartcenter @AtTgif #poetryindavis #daviscalifornia
Tonight at 7pm "Swerve" with Ellery Akers and Julia B. Levine. Explore the intersection of environmentalism, feminism, and resistance. #ecopoetry #davisca #daviscalifornia #natsoulasgallery #poetryindavis https://www.cooldavis.org/2022/04/06/swerve-with-poet-ellery-akers/