Earth Month 2021 Goings On
So many events this year! So exciting! Earth Day? Earth Week? Earth Month? Let’s have some Earth-friendly fun y’all!
The lead up: Early to mid April
April 8 – May 24 Arboretum online plant sales with curbside pickup
April 12 School Resumes watch for bicyclists!
- April 9 Climate Strike 1pm-2pm Central Park Davis, 5th and B, and brief Earth Month planning circle immediately following
April 15 Earth Day Trivia Night. 6pm online. UC Affiliates can join UC Davis Sustainability and UC Davis Student Housing and Dining Services for an environmental-themed trivia night! First UC Davis Earth Day event of many others!
- April 15-30 Watch “The Story of Plastic.” Get your free documentary screening link here courtesy The Story of Stuff and Cool Davis.
April 17 Virtual Picnic Day at UC Davis
April 17 Virtual Composting Class with the City of Davis 10:00am to 11:30am. Online classes open to anyone wishing to learn more about composting. Email PWWeb@CityofDavis.org to receive the weblink to the class.
- April 17 DEVA Virtual Electric Vehicle Pop-Up for the EV Curious 10am – 12pm online. Join Cool Davis working group Davis Electric Vehicle Association experts if you’re curious about electric vehicles. Intros, hot topics, news. Register here
- April 18 Davis Food Co-op Earth Month Event 12pm-4pm in-person. Masked and socially distanced family friendly event in Davis Food Co-op parking lot with interactive activities, art, community organizations, and music. Chill with COOL DAVIS at our space at the Co-op Earth Month Event!
- April 18 Gerry Braun Shares St. Martin Cool Congregation Story. 4pm online. Register here
- April 17- 29 Downtown Davis Street Murals Local Davis artists paint the Earth to inspire action on Earth Day! Read more and find out when is best to visit the murals.
April 20 Analysis of Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Residential Heating Technologies in the USA, Theresa Pistochini of the UC Davis Western Cooling Efficiency Center. 10am – 11am online. Register here
April 21 Virtual Composting Class with the City of Davis 12pm to 1pm. Online classes open to anyone wishing to learn more about composting. Email PWWeb@CityofDavis.org to receive the weblink to the class.
- April TBD City of Davis Environmental Recognition Awards (ERAs) online at City Council meeting
April 21 Our Planet’s Determining Decade 10am-2:30pm. Dr. Jane Goodall, Alexandra Cousteau, Dolores Huerta. Who would want to miss these brilliant minds? Tune in for this Nature Conservancy event.
April 21 Zero Waste Workshop with the UC Davis Office of Sustainability. 6pm online. https://earthday.ucdavis.edu/
- Big Day of Giving page open for donations! Help keep Cool Davis alive and thriving!
EARTHDAY.ORG’s Second-Annual “Earth Day Live: Restore Our Earth” Digital Livestream. More information
- Beautiful street murals in downtown Davis locations: keep your eyes open and look down!
- More awesome Davis community activities still in the planning stage. Check back with Cool Davis and this blog post for updates!
- Davis Climate Action and Adaptation Plan (D-CAAP) Workshop, City of Davis. 6:30pm online. The Zoom meeting link is: https://zoom.us/j/94281640401. For more information click here.
April 22-27 Wild & Scenic Film Festival Virtual live event to inspire activism. Register. Enjoy!
- April 28 Reimagine Russell Boulevard Corridor Community meeting. 5:30pm-7:00pm online. The City of Davis is gearing up for a first virtual community meeting for the Reimagine Russell Boulevard Corridor Plan. The project, championed by the City of Davis and UC Davis, seeks to provide a streetscape master plan that will rethink the design, use, and standards for the corridor. Learn more and register for the meeting on the project website: www.reimaginerussell.com
- April 29 Hugh Safford to Speak on Fire Ecology in California. 7pm online. Get more info and register here.
FREE COMPOST During the months of April and May, the Yolo County Central Landfill, located at 44090 County Road 28H in Woodland, will be offering free compost to residents Monday – Saturday from 6:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and on Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; no appointment is needed. Upon entering the Central Landfill, residents must: show proof of residency such as a driver’s license or utility bill; wear a mask; bring their own bags and shovels; and observe all local mandated physical distancing measures while on site. Residents are expected to bag and load the compost themselves. For more information about Yolo County’s Integrated Waste Management Division, including learning about the Central Landfill, visit: https://www.yolocounty.org/
landfill or call: (530) 666-8852.
April 14 Climate Action in the Capital Region webinar Update on effort to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2045 by cities of Sacramento and West Sacramento (Capitol Region Climate Readiness Collaborative/Local Government Commission) 1pm online. Register here
Check in with the Environmental Council of Sacramento for goings on
Earth Day.org https://www.earthday.org/ “Restore Our Earth” (Search for local events in Sac, Berkeley, and more)
Solano County Big Clean Up https://www.timesheraldonline.com/2021/03/23/solano-county-plans-big-cleanup-for-earth-day-week/amp/
Sustainable Solano is hosting a free Climate Reality Leadership Corps Virtual Training
Berkeley Earth Day Fun Drive-Clean-A-Thon event: electric vehicle and e-bike experts will share their unbiased expertise. Owners and riders will tell their stories. Everyone will learn how to save money and the planet and they’ll discover why their next vehicle will be electric. Sign Up
April 9 Global Just Recovery Gathering with 350.org three days of free, online, brass tacks education to build energy for real action as we come out of the pandemic.
April 1 – 30 Drive Electric Earth Day Events (28 events so far) Drive Electric Earth Day is a nationwide celebration to raise awareness of the many benefits of all-electric and plug-in hybrid cars, trucks, motorcycles, and more. They are fun to drive, are less expensive and more convenient to fuel than gasoline vehicles, are better for the environment, promote local jobs, and reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Are you considering going electric? Come talk to owners who have successfully done so!
Biden Administration convening a global climate summit on Earth Day 2021
- May 2 DAVIS LOOPALOOZA 10am-2pm Annual Spring community bike ride in Davis. Ride the 12 mi. Davis Bike Loop through parks, greenbelts and the UC Davis campus to celebrate May is Bike Month! Visit 10 stations on the bike loop. Bring your friends and family. Picnic in local parks. Enter to win a Ride 1 Up electric bike. Participate in our California wildlife activity. Details at www.bikedavis.us/loopalooza. Put on in part by Bike Davis, the Bike Campaign & Bike Garge, Davis Bike Club, YSAQMD, and Cool Davis. More details to follow in May newsletter.Help keep Cool Davis alive and thriving! Big Day of Giving May 6.
Fun Sing Along Videos from Last Year’s Earth Day
cooldaviscity Follow 2,005 808
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Tomorrow is the "big" day, y'all! Please give generously! http://www.bigdayofgiving.org/cooldavis #BDOG2021
Loopalooza has been busy and fun today! There’s still time to come out and visit Cool Davis at the Coyote Station #4 near Korematsu Elem
Last chance for free screening! Link is good until midnight tonight! @CityofDavis @AtTgif @GreenerDavis
'The Story of Plastic': Free Movie Screening for Earth Month! - Cool Davis
Cool Davis is pleased to bring you this high quality documentary for Earth Month. Enjoy! The Story of Plastic (2...
This Sunday May 2! Loopalooza is back! Cool Davis will be at the Mace Ranch station (near Korematsu). Join us for all the fun! @thebikecampaign @bikedavis @cityofdavis @davisbikeclub @ysaqmd
LOOPALOOZA IS BACK! - Cool Davis
May 2 10am to 2pm
Tonight! Hugh Safford speaks about forest ecology as climate change continues to alter our vast forests dramatically. Hosted by Larry Guenther. Time for Q&A Registration required, watch tonight or later. Donations gratefully accepted. @UCDavisJMIE
Hugh Safford to Speak on Fire Ecology in California - Cool Davis
Thursday, April 29, 7:00pm to 8:30pm online