Butternut Bisque with Pears and Onions
By Julie Cross
Serve this with garlic bread or cheese toast and a green salad.
- 3 cups pureed squash or pumpkin
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream (or substitute)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 medium onion
- 2 firm pears
Putting it together:
- Slice onions and pears as thinly as possible. Cook onions in oil over medium heat until golden. Add pears and continue cooking until tender.
- Heat broth. Scoop out insides of squash and squeeze garlic out of head. Using a potato masher, electric mixer or stick blender, beat cream into squash mixture. Slowly stir in vegetable broth. Add nutmeg, lemon rind, and salt to taste. Spoon into bowls and garnish with pear/onion mixture.
- Coconut milk or soaked pureed blanched almonds are excellent substitutes for cream in this dish.
— Julie Cross has left the restaurant world, but will always want to have fun with food — email her at email@example.com or follow her on Facebook and Instagram at Julie Cross Cooks.
Crossposted from the Davis Enterprise
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Davis Solidarity Climate Strike today 12pm-1pm: Be sure to come to 5th and B and help celebrate this week's Standing Rock legal victory. The Dakota Access company was ordered to stop the North Dakota Access pipeline! (Might be a bit late today, hang in there).
School strike week 99. The climate crisis doesn’t go on summer holiday, so we keep on protesting.
#climatestrikeonline #StayAtHome #fridaysforfuture #schoolstrike4climate #flattenthecurve
Open Air Davis launched last Friday, closing part of G Street to traffic, and allowing restaurants and stores to expand onto the sidewalk and street. Starting this Friday July 10, the program will grow to include Second Street between E and F streets.
Comings & Goings: G Street closes on weekends for dining, shopping
Open Air Davis launched Friday, closing part of G Street to traffic, and allowing restaurants and stores to expand onto the sidewalk and street. Part ...
Great info including specifics on range of models from @EforElectric @SacEV @ITS_UCDavis GREAT DEALS on Used Electric Cars Under $10,000 via @YouTube