Butternut Bisque with Pears and Onions
By Julie Cross
Serve this with garlic bread or cheese toast and a green salad.
- 3 cups pureed squash or pumpkin
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream (or substitute)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 medium onion
- 2 firm pears
Putting it together:
- Slice onions and pears as thinly as possible. Cook onions in oil over medium heat until golden. Add pears and continue cooking until tender.
- Heat broth. Scoop out insides of squash and squeeze garlic out of head. Using a potato masher, electric mixer or stick blender, beat cream into squash mixture. Slowly stir in vegetable broth. Add nutmeg, lemon rind, and salt to taste. Spoon into bowls and garnish with pear/onion mixture.
- Coconut milk or soaked pureed blanched almonds are excellent substitutes for cream in this dish.
— Julie Cross has left the restaurant world, but will always want to have fun with food — email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow her on Facebook and Instagram at Julie Cross Cooks.
Crossposted from the Davis Enterprise
cooldaviscity Follow 2,026 809
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
We surpassed our #bdog2021 goal! Thanks SO MUCH to all our donors!
Thank you for supporting us on Big Day of Giving from Cool Davis staff and leads: Leslie Crenna Christine Backman, P.E. Christine Granger Marsha Baird
Our board of directors thanks you for all your generosity on the Big Day of Giving #bdog2021! Michael McCormick Dick Bourne Carol Bourne Larry Greene Johannes Troost Julie Haney @KristinHeinemeier Jason Bone Ken Kirsch Kelsey Fortune Kerry Daane Loux
Interested in e-bikes? So many reasons why! Thank you for your donations on #BDOG2021 There's still time! http://www.bigdayofgiving.org/cooldavis Nichole Arnold @kensbikeskiboard @thebikecampaign @bikedavis @bikepartydavis @DavisBike @davisbikepolo