Butternut Bisque with Pears and Onions
By Julie Cross
Serve this with garlic bread or cheese toast and a green salad.
- 3 cups pureed squash or pumpkin
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream (or substitute)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 medium onion
- 2 firm pears
Putting it together:
- Slice onions and pears as thinly as possible. Cook onions in oil over medium heat until golden. Add pears and continue cooking until tender.
- Heat broth. Scoop out insides of squash and squeeze garlic out of head. Using a potato masher, electric mixer or stick blender, beat cream into squash mixture. Slowly stir in vegetable broth. Add nutmeg, lemon rind, and salt to taste. Spoon into bowls and garnish with pear/onion mixture.
- Coconut milk or soaked pureed blanched almonds are excellent substitutes for cream in this dish.
— Julie Cross has left the restaurant world, but will always want to have fun with food — email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow her on Facebook and Instagram at Julie Cross Cooks.
Crossposted from the Davis Enterprise
Join the Davis Futures Forum and Yolo Mobility, Cool Davis working groups, as they host guest speaker Susan Handy, Director of the National Center for Sustainable Transportation, who will offer her perspective on the current planning for I-80 traffic congestion and the Yolo Causeway. Her presentation will be followed by a diverse panel who will give us their thoughts about the Caltrans I-80 Corridor Master Plan and the associated widening project planned within Yolo County.
DATE: Thursday December 7th
TIME: 7:00 pm
LOCATION: Davis Community Church, 412 C St. Davis CA
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE ADVANCE MATERIAL AND VIDEO LINK
www.cooldavis.org/civicrm/event/info/?reset=1&id=252 ... See MoreSee Less
A stroll in the park with a few sprinkles! Cool Davis staff and SVCC Fellows spreading the word about the Yolo County #yolocaap workshop opportunity set for this Friday before and during 2nd Friday ArtAbout with Davis Creek residents (MHVillage.com). [Check out the cool solar panels in the background!] We want to hear their vision ... and yours ... for a resilient, healthy, and equitable future! Drop by between 4pm -7pm at Davis Odd Fellows 415 Second Street Davis City Yolo County Climate Action and Sustainability decolores.org/ Sign up for reminders: tinyurl.com/bw53bdmv Learn more: YoloCAAP.org ... See MoreSee Less
This Friday DEC 8!!!!!