Butternut Bisque with Pears and Onions
By Julie Cross
Serve this with garlic bread or cheese toast and a green salad.
- 3 cups pureed squash or pumpkin
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream (or substitute)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 medium onion
- 2 firm pears
Putting it together:
- Slice onions and pears as thinly as possible. Cook onions in oil over medium heat until golden. Add pears and continue cooking until tender.
- Heat broth. Scoop out insides of squash and squeeze garlic out of head. Using a potato masher, electric mixer or stick blender, beat cream into squash mixture. Slowly stir in vegetable broth. Add nutmeg, lemon rind, and salt to taste. Spoon into bowls and garnish with pear/onion mixture.
- Coconut milk or soaked pureed blanched almonds are excellent substitutes for cream in this dish.
— Julie Cross has left the restaurant world, but will always want to have fun with food — email her at email@example.com or follow her on Facebook and Instagram at Julie Cross Cooks.
Crossposted from the Davis Enterprise
The reading and discussion of the award winning collection of poems entitled "Swerve" with Ellery Akers was insightful and inspiring. Join Ellery and Poet Laureate of Davis Julia B. Levine for a poetry writing workshop this Sunday. There's still time to join us! City of Davis Arts & Cultural Affairs John Natsoulas Gallery Davis Downtown Davis City #poetryindavis #daviscalifornia #daviscalifornia
www.cooldavis.org/2022/04/06/swerve-with-poet-ellery-akers/ ... See MoreSee Less
Join Ellery Akers and Poet Laureate Julia B. Levine for a poetry writing workshop Sunday 4pm. There's still time! @NatsoulasArt @UCDavisNews @CaliforniaAggie @davisartcenter @AtTgif #poetryindavis #daviscalifornia
Tonight at 7pm "Swerve" with Ellery Akers and Julia B. Levine. Explore the intersection of environmentalism, feminism, and resistance. #ecopoetry #davisca #daviscalifornia #natsoulasgallery #poetryindavis https://www.cooldavis.org/2022/04/06/swerve-with-poet-ellery-akers/