Butternut Bisque with Pears and Onions
By Julie Cross
Serve this with garlic bread or cheese toast and a green salad.
- 3 cups pureed squash or pumpkin
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream (or substitute)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 medium onion
- 2 firm pears
Putting it together:
- Slice onions and pears as thinly as possible. Cook onions in oil over medium heat until golden. Add pears and continue cooking until tender.
- Heat broth. Scoop out insides of squash and squeeze garlic out of head. Using a potato masher, electric mixer or stick blender, beat cream into squash mixture. Slowly stir in vegetable broth. Add nutmeg, lemon rind, and salt to taste. Spoon into bowls and garnish with pear/onion mixture.
- Coconut milk or soaked pureed blanched almonds are excellent substitutes for cream in this dish.
— Julie Cross has left the restaurant world, but will always want to have fun with food — email her at email@example.com or follow her on Facebook and Instagram at Julie Cross Cooks.
Crossposted from the Davis Enterprise
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Davis neighbors this is a super opportunity! Learn about improving personal and community resiliency! Sep 26 · Driving on Sunshine: Solar, Batteries, and Electric Vehicles - Nextdoor https://nextdoor.com/events/3712922?init_source=twitter_share
In 2010, Davis became first city in CA to commit to carbon neutrality. We can proudly say that we have joined together with hundreds of volunteers to assist thousands of residents to to achieve that goal. Celebrate, then make a plan for your next steps. http://www.cooldavis.org/cool-solutions
Driving on Sunshine plans sparking! 2 local webinars, at least 12 home video tours, and scores of national-level FREE opportunities. Incentives for solar, batteries, and used and new electric vehicles still substantial! @DavisCity @VCleanEnergy @sacev
Driving on Sunshine Week: Program and Resources - Cool Davis
Driving on Sunshine Program and Videos Sept 26th - Oct 4th, 2020 ONLINE and FREE
By the 2040 to 2070 period, the Sacramento Region will experience as many as 24 to 35 extreme heat days per year, up from 3-4 days historically. We are already seeing record heat waves this year. @cap_climate UHI mitigation report shares solutions: https://bit.ly/31U1jb4
Although anyone can suffer from heat-related illness, some people are at greater risk than others. Check regularly on:
-Infants & children
-Ppl aged 65 or older
-Ppl who have a mental illness
-Ppl who are physically ill, especially w/heart disease or ⬆️ blood pressure