Lentil Curry Soup Recipe
It may be getting warmer here in Davis, but the nights are still a bit chilly lending it the perfect weather to enjoy a nice warm bowl of soup! And before you think to yourself that this is just another boring lentil soup recipe, let me tell you, it’s not. With the flavors of curry, garam masala, and creamy coconut milk infused into it, you won’t ever look at lentil soup the same way again.
I have to admit though that I adapted this amazing recipe from food blogger The Most Vegan (a great place to go to for more plant-based recipes by the way!) I subbed in a few ingredients that I thought would really make this soup stand out, such as sweet potatoes and umami-rich mushrooms, and boy did it work. As a simple dish, it pairs great with basmati rice, but if you’re feeling up to it, pair this meal with an appetizer of baked tofu + cucumbers + peanut sauce (as pictured above)…you won’t regret it!
- 2.5 cups red lentils
- 6 cups water or veggie broth
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 2 heaping cups sweet potato, chopped (with skin on)
- 1 cup peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- oil for sauteing
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Begin by heating a pot with oil and saute the chopped onions over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes
- Then add garam masala, curry powder, and salt. Mix to combine
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and 6 cups of water or veggie broth (if using water, add a bit more salt and spices to enhance flavor). Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 12 minutes uncovered
- After 12 minutes, transfer 3 cups of the soup to a food processor (or blender) and blend until thick and smooth
- Return the blended portion to the pot, add in the peas and mushrooms, and simmer for a few minutes more
- Pour into bowls and serve with rice. Enjoy!
Adapted recipe and photo by Shari Brown. Visit @Naturallyfueled on Instagram for more meals like this one!
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
City of Keene, New Hampshire, establishes goal of transitioning to 100% clean and renewable energy: @SierraClub.
Keene, N.H., Announces 100% Renewable Energy Goal - Solar Industry
On Thursday, the city council of Keene, N.H., voted 14-1 to establish a goal of transitioning to 100% clean and renewable energy, the Sierra Club has ...