Lentil Curry Soup Recipe
It may be getting warmer here in Davis, but the nights are still a bit chilly lending it the perfect weather to enjoy a nice warm bowl of soup! And before you think to yourself that this is just another boring lentil soup recipe, let me tell you, it’s not. With the flavors of curry, garam masala, and creamy coconut milk infused into it, you won’t ever look at lentil soup the same way again.
I have to admit though that I adapted this amazing recipe from food blogger The Most Vegan (a great place to go to for more plant-based recipes by the way!) I subbed in a few ingredients that I thought would really make this soup stand out, such as sweet potatoes and umami-rich mushrooms, and boy did it work. As a simple dish, it pairs great with basmati rice, but if you’re feeling up to it, pair this meal with an appetizer of baked tofu + cucumbers + peanut sauce (as pictured above)…you won’t regret it!
- 2.5 cups red lentils
- 6 cups water or veggie broth
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 2 heaping cups sweet potato, chopped (with skin on)
- 1 cup peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- oil for sauteing
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Begin by heating a pot with oil and saute the chopped onions over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes
- Then add garam masala, curry powder, and salt. Mix to combine
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and 6 cups of water or veggie broth (if using water, add a bit more salt and spices to enhance flavor). Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 12 minutes uncovered
- After 12 minutes, transfer 3 cups of the soup to a food processor (or blender) and blend until thick and smooth
- Return the blended portion to the pot, add in the peas and mushrooms, and simmer for a few minutes more
- Pour into bowls and serve with rice. Enjoy!
Adapted recipe and photo by Shari Brown. Visit @Naturallyfueled on Instagram for more meals like this one!
Join the Davis Futures Forum and Yolo Mobility, Cool Davis working groups, as they host guest speaker Susan Handy, Director of the National Center for Sustainable Transportation, who will offer her perspective on the current planning for I-80 traffic congestion and the Yolo Causeway. Her presentation will be followed by a diverse panel who will give us their thoughts about the Caltrans I-80 Corridor Master Plan and the associated widening project planned within Yolo County.
DATE: Thursday December 7th
TIME: 7:00 pm
LOCATION: Davis Community Church, 412 C St. Davis CA
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE ADVANCE MATERIAL AND VIDEO LINK
www.cooldavis.org/civicrm/event/info/?reset=1&id=252 ... See MoreSee Less
A stroll in the park with a few sprinkles! Cool Davis staff and SVCC Fellows spreading the word about the Yolo County #yolocaap workshop opportunity set for this Friday before and during 2nd Friday ArtAbout with Davis Creek residents (MHVillage.com). [Check out the cool solar panels in the background!] We want to hear their vision ... and yours ... for a resilient, healthy, and equitable future! Drop by between 4pm -7pm at Davis Odd Fellows 415 Second Street Davis City Yolo County Climate Action and Sustainability decolores.org/ Sign up for reminders: tinyurl.com/bw53bdmv Learn more: YoloCAAP.org ... See MoreSee Less
This Friday DEC 8!!!!!