Winter Squash Stuffed with Wild Rice (Vegan Recipe)
Enjoy this vegan recipe from Plant Punk Kitchen!
Winter squash make for warm fall eating. Most squash ripen well after summer is over, and the butternut squash season is at its best between late autumn and winter.
- 4 baby Honeynut Squash
- 1 Cup Wild Rice
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1/2 Cup Cranberries
- 1 Cup Shredded Baby Spinach
- 3 Tablespoons Italian Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Cashew Butter (recipe on Plant Punk Kitchen website)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the Honeynut Squash in half, scoop the seeds out. Season the squash with salt, place in a baking dish cut side down, pour enough water to just about a 1/4 way up. Place in oven cooking for 35 minutes. The meat should tender but the squash should retain its shape.
- Start Rice Mix. Follow directions on package plus add the granulated garlic and dried basil to the water.
- Once the rice is cooked, mix in the Cashew butter, Apple Cider Vinegar, Cranberries, Spinach and the nutritional yeast. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Remove the cooked squash from the oven. Allow the squash to cool enough so that you can handle them. Carefully scoop the meat out, leaving a border around the edge about 1/4î thick. You looking to create a boat.
- Mix the scooped squash into the rice mixture. Fill the squash with the rice mix. Place in the oven for 15 minutes until hot.
- You can easily use any squash you like for this recipe. Roasting time will vary depending on the size.
- For the Wild Rice, we used a mix with lentils and amaranth.
- You can make this dish a day ahead of time. To reheat: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the squash in a baking dish with some water, cover with foil & cook for 35 minutes. Remove the foil cooking for another 15 minutes. The interior of the rice should be hot.
- This recipe is vegan and gluten free.
cooldaviscity Follow 2,009 808
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Our matching fund is $15K. There's still time to help us reach our goal tonight and all day tomorrow! GIVE thru midnight MAY 6! https://www.bigdayofgiving.org/cooldavis #BDOG2021
These early birds are helping us take flight! GIVE thru midnight MAY 6! https://www.bigdayofgiving.org/cooldavis #BDOG2021
More generous donors! Any amount will help us reach our goal! GIVE thru midnight MAY 6! https://www.bigdayofgiving.org/cooldavis #BDOG2021
We are so grateful to our Big Day of Giving Matching Fund donors! Early birds get the match! GIVE thru midnight MAY 6! https://www.bigdayofgiving.org/cooldavis #BDOG2021