Vegan Recipe – Broccoli Stuffed Pasta Shells
Check out this yummy vegan recipe with broccoli or other seasonal favorites from Plant Punk Kitchen! Serve with some nice warm crusty bread to sop up the tomato and “cheese” sauce.
- 2 Yellow Potatoes, Diced
- 1 Cup Cashews
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Miso Paste
- 3/4 Cup Plant milk
- 2 Teaspoons Apple cider vinegar
- 2 heads of Broccoli cut into florets
- 1 Can Cannellini Beans
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Flax seed meal
Pasta and toppings
- 1 box of large Pasta Shells
- 1- 25 oz. Bottle Tomato Sauce
- 1 sprig Chopped Rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- For the “Cheese” Sauce, Place Potatoes and Cashews in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil until potatoes are soft- do not overcook. Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor until creamy and smooth.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the pasta shells into the water stirring gently. Reduce the heat so that the pasta is cooking at a low boil. Stir occasionally. Drain and rinse the pasta. Set aside.
- Saute the onions over medium heat with a drop or two of grape seed oil, cooking until light brown, remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add the broccoli, place enough in the pan to cover but not over crowd. The goal is to get a light char on the broccoli.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Place in a large bowl and smash with a potato masher.
- Rough chop the broccoli. Place the broccoli in the bowl with the beans, add the onion, the flax seed meal. Gently mix. Add 1/4 cup of the cheese saucing mixing and slowing add more until the mixture is creamy and moist.
- Pour the tomato sauce into a large baking dish. Fill the shells with the broccoli filling. Place on top of the tomato sauce with the opening on the bottom.
- To finish spoon dollops of cheese sauce on top of the shells. Place in the oven cooking for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and spoon more cheese over the shells.
- Chop the rosemary very fine and sprinkle on top of the pasta.
Substitutions and suggestions:
- Substitute Broccoli for another vegetable like Cauliflower, artichoke hearts or even add spinach. If you use spinach, make sure you squeeze out any extra moisture before adding it to the beans and “cheese” sauce.
- Be sure not to overcook the broccoli for a nice “bite” but make the filling as creamy or chunky as you like.
- You can use large tube pasta like cannelloni or even Ravioli instead of shells.
- Oil is always optional. Use a few drops to speed up browning or to avoid sticking. You can always saute your vegetables with a bit of water or Vegetable stock.
- This recipe is vegan and but NOT gluten free.
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
How can onsite non-potable water reuse systems secure California's water future? Join our webinar on November 21st to find out: http://bit.ly/2Kq1amC