Recipe: Winter Squash Stuffed with Wild Rice
Winter squash stuff with wild rice is a great entree for those looking for healthy alternatives. Oil free, gluten free, whole food plant based, and perfectly seasonal. We found these Honeynut Squash at our local Davis Farmers Market but I’ve seen them popping up at Trader Joe’s and local supermarkets as well.
Enjoy! — Julie from Plant Punk Kitchen
For more Thanksgiving recipes, try our Cool Davis Facebook page.
- 4 baby Honeynut Squash
- 1 Cup Wild Rice
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1/2 Cup Cranberries
- 1 Cup Shredded Baby Spinach
- 3 Tablespoons Italian Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Cashew Butter (recipe on Plant Punk Kitchen website)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the Honeynut Squash in half, scoop the seeds out. Season the squash with salt, place in a baking dish cut side down, pour enough water to just about a 1/4 way up. Place in oven cooking for 35 minutes. The meat should tender but the squash should retain its shape.
- Start Rice Mix. Follow directions on package plus add the granulated garlic and dried basil to the water.
- Once the rice is cooked, mix in the Cashew butter, Apple Cider Vinegar, Cranberries, Spinach and the nutritional yeast. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Remove the cooked squash from the oven. Allow the squash to cool enough so that you can handle them. Carefully scoop the meat out, leaving a border around the edge about 1/4î thick. You looking to create a boat.
- Mix the scooped squash into the rice mixture. Fill the squash with the rice mix. Place in the oven for 15 minutes until hot.
- You can easily use any squash you like for this recipe. Roasting time will vary depending on the size.
- For the Wild Rice, we used a mix with lentils and amaranth.
- You can make this dish a day ahead of time. To reheat: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the squash in a baking dish with some water, cover with foil & cook for 35 minutes. Remove the foil cooking for another 15 minutes. The interior of the rice should be hot.
cooldaviscity Follow 2,118 822
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
(CNN) A series of potent Pacific storms are directed at Northern California this week ... the storms could lead to flash floods and dangerous debris flows in a wide swath of the region already devastated by recent wildfires.
Level 5 atmospheric river to unleash flooding across drought-stricken California
After nearly a year without rain, a series of potent Pacific storms are directed at Northern California this week,...
Maintenance workshop at Bike Garage
Maintenance workshop at Bike Garage - Davis Enterprise
Join the Bike Campaign at 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 23, in the Bike Garage, 1500 Cannery Ave., behind…
Cool Davis is currently seeking candidates with a background in community organizing to work with households at neighborhood level, including homeowners and rental households in single and multi-family homes. https://www.cooldavis.org/2021/09/15/want-to-take-on-climate-change-cool-davis-is-hiring/
UCCE Master Gardeners of Yolo Co. are recruiting for their 2022 training class. If you are interested in applying, please email or call Jennifer Baumbach, Program Coordinator at http://jmbaumbachATucanr.edu for an application. Deadline is this Friday, October 8 by 5 pm.
Our partner @thebikecampaign will have a "Chat" trishaw for the new @cyclingwithoutage chapter in #daviscalifornia on hand this Sunday at Central Park. They're recruiting for pilots! Come see what it's all about! @CityofDavis @bikedavis @ucdaviscycling
Electric Vehicles at the Pavilion: National Drive Electric Week 2021 - Cool Davis
October 3 from 11am to 2 pm Davis Central Park Pavilion