Wheat Berry Salad Recipe
Refreshing. Hearty. Crunchy. Flavorful. I would say those are the best terms to describe this meal, but let’s be real here, it’s best to just find out for yourself by taking a bite of it! Pair this dish with a bowl of soup, top onto a bed of leafy greens, or pair with grilled tofu or another plant-based side dish. Yum!
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1.5 cups celery, diced
- 1 green or red apple, diced
- 1 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 firmly pressed cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or other favorite dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- The juice of 1 large lemon; lemon zest optional
- The juice of 1/2 an orange
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling add the wheat berries and wild rice, lower the temperature to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for 45min to 1 hour, until both the rice and wheat berries are tender. Once fully cooked and tender, drain them using a colander.
- In a large bowl, combine the dried cranberries and diced onion, apple, pecans, celery, and cilantro.
- Make the dressing. In a small mason jar mix the lemon juice, lemon zest if using, orange juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper. (For a quick way to evenly mix these ingredients, it helps to put a lid on the mason jar and shake it up).
- Add the drained and cooked wild rice and wheat berries to the large bowl of ingredients.
- Mix in the dressing to fully coat the ingredients. Chill for a few hours, and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe and photo by Shari Brown. Visit @Naturallyfueled on Instagram for more meals like this one!
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Thinking about gettingan electric vehicle, and solar and backup battery systems for your home? Fill in this survey to receive a Cool Davis veggie bag and Farmer’s Market bucks. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3G2KCQV
Avoid power outages by pairing solar with backup batteries. Register for the webinar with @enphaseenergy co-founder (and rock star) Raghu Belur. @CityofDavis @RepowerYolo @aztecsolar @CitadelSolar
Backup Battery Systems: The Final Piece of the Energy Puzzle - Cool Davis
Our homes are more important than ever. Having a home that powers itself, even when there’s a power outage, equates to huge peace of mind.
Unfold Podcast Launches Season 2 Focused on Climate Change - UC Davis
Unfold Podcast Launches Season 2 Focused on Climate Change
After a summer of heat waves, wildfires, orange skies and hurricanes, people are beginning to recognize that climate change is here now. But are we to...
Climate Strike Davis Plans Central Park Camp-out to Call-out the Crisis
Climate Strike Davis Plans Central Park Camp-out to Call-out the Crisis - Cool Davis
Noon on Friday to Noon Saturday Central Park, Davis (5th and B St.)
Protect your Prostate and Lower Your Cancer Risk by Changing Your Diet @thebeetofficial
To Lower Your Risk of Prostate Cancer, Eat More Plant-Based Foods
Diet and exercise play a major role in your lifetime risk of prostate cancer, as new studies emerge that link higher risk to a diet rich in red meat a...