Wheat Berry Salad Recipe
Refreshing. Hearty. Crunchy. Flavorful. I would say those are the best terms to describe this meal, but let’s be real here, it’s best to just find out for yourself by taking a bite of it! Pair this dish with a bowl of soup, top onto a bed of leafy greens, or pair with grilled tofu or another plant-based side dish. Yum!
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1.5 cups celery, diced
- 1 green or red apple, diced
- 1 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 firmly pressed cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or other favorite dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- The juice of 1 large lemon; lemon zest optional
- The juice of 1/2 an orange
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling add the wheat berries and wild rice, lower the temperature to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for 45min to 1 hour, until both the rice and wheat berries are tender. Once fully cooked and tender, drain them using a colander.
- In a large bowl, combine the dried cranberries and diced onion, apple, pecans, celery, and cilantro.
- Make the dressing. In a small mason jar mix the lemon juice, lemon zest if using, orange juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper. (For a quick way to evenly mix these ingredients, it helps to put a lid on the mason jar and shake it up).
- Add the drained and cooked wild rice and wheat berries to the large bowl of ingredients.
- Mix in the dressing to fully coat the ingredients. Chill for a few hours, and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe and photo by Shari Brown. Visit @Naturallyfueled on Instagram for more meals like this one!
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.