Facing the Future Together: The Fierce Determination of Local Action
As election day came and went and wins and losses continue to emerge, the United States quietly completed the process of exiting from the Paris Climate Accords. In the midst of acts of racial violence and injustice throughout the summer and another season of record setting temperatures and wildfires, voters continue to choose candidates who do not recognize the social and climate crises we face.
If nothing else, recent events have demonstrated the power and necessity of local action, preparedness, and equity as we go forward. Regardless of election outcomes or the U.S. departure from the Paris Accords, we have always had the ability to act locally — as individuals and community. We the people, of our street, our neighborhood, and our town, must lead the way. Our fierce determination to take action at the local level endures. You are not alone in your dedication! Cool Davis is with you!
Cool Davis as your local climate action organization is asking you to act. Join us and donate what you can!
Your gift of $100 will keep our baseline operations going strong in 2021!
Gratitude, Cool Davis style
We are grateful for the opportunity to work with partners, Coalition members and dedicated working groups like Cool Cuisine, Davis Electric Vehicle Association, Davis Futures Forum, Yolo Interfaith Alliance for Climate Justice, Waterwise, and READ-Y. Together we set new standards, create new programs and mechanisms for action.
As we build on decades of local policy, the City and County continue to respond. In 2019 Davis passed a Climate Emergency Resolution dedicating the City to carbon neutrality by 2040 and called for the update of the Climate Action and Adaptation Plan which is moving forward. County Supervisors last month responded to the Yolo Climate Emergency Coalition and passed a similar resolution!
Your donation helps us to continue supporting and nurturing local collaboration!
As we continue to celebrate our 10 Year Anniversary we look forward with hope into 2021. We pledge to engage more households in transforming their lives and working together to build a more resilient community.
- Cool Davis works with households like yours in planning their next actions on the Cool Home Checklist.
- Homeowners all over the community are on the verge of achieving our community Double Up on Solar goal with 4,000+ households successfully installing solar. This is 90+% of the way to the campaign goal.
- Cool Davis’ Heating & Cooling Make a Plan programs for home energy conservation offer households simple low-cost solutions, resources to help you in heat emergencies, information on how to evaluate innovations like battery backups, and strategies to replace natural gas with all electric.
- Cool Davis’ Ride Cool Campaign still brings you Electric Vehicle education now online. Over 2000 electric vehicles are registered in Davis and new vehicle charging stations are being built.
- Cool Davis Coalition and working groups (Davis Electric Vehicle Association, Davis Futures Forum, Yolo Interfaith Alliance for Climate Justice, Waterwise, and READ-Y) continue on-line and in the community with the support of Cool Davis staff, tools and resources.
- In 2020 we made all this available in online webinars and YouTube videos at #LiveCoolDavis.
Your donation now can keep all this important work going in 2021!
Your actions and fierce determination must make the difference!
SIGN UP! MAKE A PLAN!
No matter what progress we make, there’s always more to do!
Join the City and County as they plan the next 10 years of efforts!
Make your 10 year transformation plan too!
- Go to https://www.cooldavis.org/signup/ to sign up!
- Become a Cool Home — signing up for our newsletter and targeted email lists. Cool Home Checklist is ready and the Cool Davis team is ready to help you along the way.
- Get busy on your next action(s), then send us your story of how you did it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Help other households make their plan! Sign up to volunteer ! Be a neighborhood champion!
- Join the Cool Davis Coalition . Volunteer to help with a Coalition Working Group or Partner!
- Subscribe to our YouTube Educational Channel – #LiveCoolDavis
It matters where you put your money!
- Give to Cool Davis and our Working Groups!
- Sign up for Amazon Smile. Include Cool Davis in your list of organizations!
- Pledge to give monthly, quarterly, annually!
- Donate your car!
Don’t forget to buy green and Give Cool this winter holiday.
A Message from Davis Climate Strike folks:
This Friday - today - we will dedicate our climate strike to Eva and her passionate defense for the rights to dignity and respect for all life. She loved all forms of dancing so we will have her colorful scarves on hand and music. Please wear a facemask and maintain 6 feet of social distance. Please join us TODAY in Eva's memory at the corner of 5th and B, 12:30-2pm.
You may have heard of Eva Dopico who left us last year around this time. She was a beloved teacher at Cesar Chavez Elementary that suffered and eventually succumbed to depression.
Eva was a bright light in our community and an ardent defender of equality and belonging for all. She worked tirelessly and joyfully to restore healthy relationships with the Earth and all her creatures.
Eva had a clever, project-based learning approach to teaching climate change to her second grade class. Each student was asked to build a solar oven with their family, which became a model to learn the science of global warming and how greenhouse gases are trapped by our planet's thickening atmosphere. From there she talked about other impacts of human-induced climate change and told the stories of youth leaders.
Eva was passionate about water and protecting marine life in the oceans from plastics and pollution. She frequently transformed into mermaid form, an experience she also shared with her young students. She was a woman of many superpowers and is dearly missed.
Eva wanted to join the climate strike and march with us in September 2018 but was unable to find a substitute teacher.
This Friday - today - we will dedicate our climate strike to Eva and her passionate defense for the rights to dignity and respect for all life.
She loved all forms of dancing so we will have her colorful scarves on hand and music. Please wear a facemask and maintain 6 feet of social distance.
Please join us in Eva's memory at the corner of 5th and B, 12:30-2pm.
"In a racist society, it is not enough to be non-racist. We must be anti-racist."
--Angela DaVIS ... See MoreSee Less
3 hours ago
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
A message from Davis Climate Strike folks:
Today we dedicate our climate strike to Eva Dopico. She loved all forms of dancing so we will have her colorful scarves on hand and music. Wear a facemask and maintain 6 feet of social distance. Corner of 5th and B, 12:30-2pm. Davis
Seasonal changes mean drops and rises, but the overall trend up is unmistakable. Parts per million in the upper atmosphere is higher than it has been in 800 million years. Check out our page for more details @CityofDavis
Climate Change Basics - Cool Davis
Climate Change Basics Already know the facts? Finally getting around to digging deeper? There’s always more to ...
413.60 parts per million (ppm) CO2 in air 02-Dec-2020 http://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/keelingcurve/
You can reduce greenhouse gas emissions by donating at our page below!
Donate to Cool Davis - Cool Davis
Your donation today, helps households adapt to impacts and reduce emissions locally and around the world! Donate to Cool Davis now!
It's not too late! Please give today! #GivingTuesday2020
During #GivingTuesday yesterday, we saw over 200 local organizations receive donations through GivingEdge, the platform that powers Big Day of Giving, which is available to search year-round at http://www.givingedge.org. Our region’s generosity is powerful when we come together.