Warm Nights but Cool Kitchen with Solar Cooker Eggplant Lasagne
by Claire Black Slotton
I love a warm dinner, even in the summer when the weather is hot. I don’t want to run my oven much though. So, today, I decided on solar-oven eggplant lasagne so I could use up some of the dazzling eggplants growing in my yard and the rest of the spaghetti sauce I made from the yard last week.
I’ll share with you what I did – it’s a loose approximation of what I’ve done in the past. I don’t usually use recipes. Feel free to adapt any way you like.
lasagna noodles (mine are very thin noodles which I got at Trader Joe’s)
eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Lay the eggplant slices on a baking pan and sprinkle with a little olive oil.
- Broil for 5 minutes or until soft.
- In the pan you’ll be baking your lasagne in,
- Spoon a thin layer of pasta sauce.
- Next, layer lasagna noodles and cover with a thin layer of sauce.
- Over that, spread eggplant slices very close to each other to cover.
- Sprinkle a little grated mozzarella over the eggplant.
- Layer more sauce, noodles, eggplant and cheese until your pan is full or you run out of goodies.
- Top with the last of the cheese.
Bake in the solar cooker for 3 hours or more. Because the solar cooker never dries anything out or burns things, you can leave it for a very long time.
Enjoy your nice cool house while your solar cooker does the hot work outside.
At dinner time, pull out your piping hot lasagne. Enjoy!
The reading and discussion of the award winning collection of poems entitled "Swerve" with Ellery Akers was insightful and inspiring. Join Ellery and Poet Laureate of Davis Julia B. Levine for a poetry writing workshop this Sunday. There's still time to join us! City of Davis Arts & Cultural Affairs John Natsoulas Gallery Davis Downtown Davis City #poetryindavis #daviscalifornia #daviscalifornia
www.cooldavis.org/2022/04/06/swerve-with-poet-ellery-akers/ ... See MoreSee Less
School strike week 202. #FridaysForFuture #ClimateStrike
Join Ellery Akers and Poet Laureate Julia B. Levine for a poetry writing workshop Sunday 4pm. There's still time! @NatsoulasArt @UCDavisNews @CaliforniaAggie @davisartcenter @AtTgif #poetryindavis #daviscalifornia