Support Federal Rebates for E-Bikes
The recently introduced E-BIKE (Electric Bicycle Incentive Kickstart for the Environment) Act would create a tax rebate for people buying electric bikes similar to the tax incentive for buying an electric car. By making e-bikes more financially accessible to more people, the E-BIKE Act would help replace car trips with bike trips and get more people in our communities to see the benefits of bicycling.
Studies of e-bike usage show that they are car-replacing, greenhouse gas emission-reducing, congestion-improving, and health-boosting. With the E-BIKE Act, Congress would be providing incentives for electrifying transportation to the most efficient form of transportation ever – the bicycle – not just cars.
Join us in supporting this legislation by contacting your representatives in Congress today.
The E-BIKE Act creates a tax credit that:
- Accounts for the purchase of one e-bike for single filers, or two for joint filers
- Provides a rebate for 30% of the cost of a new electric bicycle, up to a $1,500 credit.
- Allows lower-income workers to claim the credit. Individuals without tax liability can still receive the tax rebate.
- Includes an income limitation of $150,000 for a single filer, $225,000 for head of household, and $300,000 for joint filers. This is $75,000 lower than the income limitation on electric car rebates.
- Includes language that limits eligible e-bikes to ones with tested battery systems and which meet one of the Three Class Definitions for e-bikes used by most states.
- Prevents fraud by requiring manufacturers to provide a VIN that retailers report to the IRS upon sale.
Visit the League of American Bicyclists Action Center to easily message your federal elected officials on this issue.
Photos from Cool Davis's post ... See MoreSee Less
Loopalooza 2023 ... See MoreSee Less