Fossil Fuel Pension Divestment Bill Reintroduced
Editor’s Note: A message from Miriam Eide, Coordinating Director, Fossil Free CA follows below.
Late January 2023, Senator Gonzalez with joint authors of Senator Wiener and Senator Stern reintroduced the divestment bill! SB252 Fossil Fuel Divestment was introduced as part of a Climate Accountability Package that also includes:
- SB 253 – the Carbon Accountability Act – Senator Wiener – Corporate disclosure of greenhouse gas emissions
- SB 261 – the Climate Risk Disclosure Act – Senator Stern – Bank disclosure of material climate-related financial risk
And the bill has been covered by the press!
- Our first CA Divestment Bill Coalition meeting will be on February 9th at 4pm – email me if you’d like to join and I’ll share the link.
- We also have several subteams!
- Municipal Support for Divestment – Alternate Tuesdays from 3-4pm
- Research Team – Alternate Tuesdays from 4-5pm
The Union team hosted a webinar featuring union members working on divestment in their unions, Senator Gonzalez, and Zara Ahsan from Youth Vs Apocalypse. The webinar was amazing – stay tuned for the recording soon. The webinar had 91 attendees at its high point with 188 registrations! This is a record for FFCA in recent memory.
A group of CalSTRS team members attended the CalSTRS board meeting where Jane began conversations with the staff from both State Treasurer Fiona Ma and State Controller Malia Cohen’s staff (both already support divestment). Hopefully these discussions will lead to more active support from both.
I look forward to the upcoming weeks at Fossil Free California – there is so much incredible work going on! Together we make it happen!
Miriam Eide, Coordinating Director
Miriam@FossilFreeCA.org pronouns: she, her, hers
Where can you slide into the driver’s seat in a Cadillac Lyriq, Genesis GV60, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, 2022 Subaru Cross Trek Hybrid, iMiEV, Rivian R1T, and @formula_racing_at_ucd (electric) ... all in one place? #ndew2023 for sure. Okay, maybe the UC Davis Formula Folks won’t let you go that far. You can always hope, though. Find out at EVs@thePavilion in Davis this Sunday October 1st from 11am to 2:30pm. Valley Clean Energy Davis City Sac EV Find out more
www.cooldavis.org/2023/09/01/national-drive-electric-week-evsthepavilion-set-for-october-1-in-davis/ ... See MoreSee Less