Yolo Interfaith Alliance for Climate Justice Urges Support for Cool Davis
The Yolo Interfaith Alliance for Climate Justice was formed as a working group of Cool Davis in 2014. Since then YIACJ has offered many ways for the faith community to engage in discussion and action to slow the climate crisis.
As Cool Davis celebrates its 10th Anniversary they are working hard for our community to take the steps to meet the challenges of the next 10 years. In gratitude for their important work, I am asking you to make a donation to Cool Davis. Join me in recognition of the years of support for the work of the Yolo Interfaith Alliance for Climate Justice! Let’s commit to our work together for the next decade!
Think back over the ways you have participated.
- We have offered six Climate Conferences with keynote speakers and workshops ranging from Congressman Garamendi and Winnemum Wintu Chief Caleen Sisk to other noted speakers. One of our most popular speakers was Michael McCormick who worked directly under Governor Jerry Brown on climate policy…and is the president of the Cool Davis Board of Directors.
- In 2015, we gathered for a heartfelt Climate Vigil the Eve of the Paris talks. We still have hope.
- Many folks have participated in various films and discussions: 3 films on Eating for a Healthy Planet (Nourish, Dirt!, Cowspiracy); From the Ashes; Before the Flood; and Al Gore’s film: Inconvenient Sequel. Several faith communities started groups and discussions for Meatless Mondays/Fridays.
- Others have favored the live workshops: Truth to Power-Building Justice, Solidarity and Compassion in a Climate of Insecurity, a talk by Nick Buxton; Soil: The Forgotten Gift Underfoot by our USDA expert Tony Rolfes; Sacred Earth: elemental community in song, word and action honor and celebrate the four elements: earth, air, fire and water by Laura Sandage and her group of women.
- Some faith community members helped make lunches for our Davis youth who organized their first climate march last September of over 1000 marchers, and you marched with them! This February, our climate youth leaders shared their experience in the emerging local climate movement.
- Our UC Davis Humphrey Fellows have offered insight to climate change in other countries around the world: 2017-18 (Mexico, Tunisia, Morocco, Pakistan) and 2018-19 (Tanzania, Bolivia, Russia, Estonia).
- We held an Interfaith Ancestral Reverence Ceremony at Davis Memorial Grove and a local Native American Diana Almendariz offered Patwin Indigenous Wisdom on Oct. 2018.
- An engaged group discussed the Think Resilience video course from Post Carbon Institute by Richard Heinberg and many participated in the NorthWest Institute: Choices for Sustainable Living course.
In short, YIACJ aims to provide the faith community and interested others with opportunities to learn and engage on climate issues at this critical time.
Cool Davis has supported us all the way helping to publicize our events widely and to keep track of folks who attend so we can alert you to next events. We work together with Cool Davis to build an educated community that is informed and willing to take action, at the personal, communal and national level.
All of you know there is more work to do. Cool Davis is there to guide you personally in the transition to a zero carbon household, changing your heating, cooling, and transportation choices. Cool Davis is helping Yolo Interfaith Alliance for Climate Justice to reach out to people of various faith denominations. We couldn’t do it without the support of the Cool Davis communications team, the photographer, the program staff, and the support of the Board. Please consider a donation to Cool Davis during this challenging time. This next decade is absolutely critical to our climate future!
Lynne Nittler, Yolo Interfaith Alliance for Climate Justice
LINKS FOR YOU
The Yolo Interfaith Alliance for Climate Justice — is open to all faith group members, as well as non-faith folks, who wish to address climate justice and climate disruption issues on a variety of levels. Currently we have people from 8-10 faith groups meeting on a monthly basis. The Interfaith Alliance is dedicated to educating members of faith groups about the urgency of reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
The Planning Committee for the Interfaith Alliance meets monthly first Thursday of the month at 1pm noon now on Zoom. All meetings are open. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the link or with your questions.
The Latest Carbon Pollution Data — Scientists have warned for more than a decade that CO2 concentrations of more than 450 ppm risk triggering extreme weather events and temperature rises as high as 2C, beyond which the effects of global heating are likely to become catastrophic and irreversible. Read more about the weekly carbon count.
cooldaviscity Follow 2,048 809
Cool Davis is a coalition of citizens, the City of Davis, and community organizations working to empower our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
HUGE WIN! Maine just became the 1st state to pass a law requiring divestment from fossil fuels!
Other states should follow suit and ensure their public funds don’t drive the climate crisis.
Divestment goes Maine-stream - Grist
Maine just became the first state in the nation to pass an actual law requiring divestment of public funds from oil, gas, and coal companies.
The City is opening a cooling center today (Wed.) from 1pm to 8 pm located at the Davis Senior Center at 646 A St. Please use the 7th St entrance to the West multipurpose room. The cooling center will remain open through Sat. (daily hours 1 pm to 8 pm). Masks are required.
Tonight's the night! Please register to join (virtually) the next meeting of the Davis Electric Vehicle Association on Wednesday, June 9 at 6:00 p.m. (PDT).
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining.
Welcome! You are invited to join a meeting: DEVA Meeting June 9, . After registering, you will receive a confirmation email about joining the meeting.
Meeting of DEVA Happens every other month on the 2nd Wednesday at 6:00 pm
"Hallelujah. A day for celebration! I have a great story to share about how “all of us” ... won and killed the bill AB 1139 that wanted to kill rooftop Solar in California." @aztecsolar @RepowerYolo @SolarCitadel #gosolardavis
Grassroots Coalition Rallied to Keep California a Pro-Solar State - Cool Davis
Hallelujah. A day for celebration! I have a great story to share about how “all of us” won yesterday ...