Over the weekend of October 9-10 2010, the Cool Davis Initiative launched itself in the Davis community with hugely successful festival that brought over 1700 people out to learn and share ideas on how to reduce greenhouse gas emissions while having fun:
Saturday, Oct. 9, volunteers worked on ten different Service Day Action projects. They replaced a fence at the Raptor Center, worked along Putah Creek doing native plant restoration, did grounds clean-up and planting at Davis High School, the Community Gardens, and the 8th and K Street FARM project, worked on retrofitting two “recycled” houses that will become cooperative housing for low-income residents, sewed veggie bags, re-organized bike parts at Bike Forth, rehearsed an environmental play, and even composed songs for the planet.
Sunday, Oct. 10, the Green Living Festival blossomed into far more than we dreamed with 1700 visitors – three times the expected number. The Vets Memorial Center parking lot was full and the front lawn was crowded with bicycles.
The festival had something for everyone:
- Latest energy tips: Outdoor exhibitors shared their knowledge and wares from Apex Cycles and Service to Solar Power to Zipcars with an engaged public; the innovative carbon cafeteria gave us all new hints to lower our carbon footprints;
- Lively cultural programme: The play ‘Search for King Carbon’ filled the theater with laughing families; ACME theater company challenged watchers to decide the case for or against Mother Earth; Tree-O, youthful singers, and musicians impressed their audiences;
- Children’s activities: CALPIRG UCD volunteers painted “350” and “Cool Davis” on youthful cheeks; children eagerly did their own challenge adventure to collect green footprints for a raffle,
- Distinguished Mayors’ Panel brought together five city mayors and three local Eco-Hero Award winners who inspired all who came
- Delicious local and healthy food: Our food providers including those who served delicious and healthy local food treats were pleased as pie to be honored with their certificates as exemplary green businesses
One visitor summed up her experience, “Astonishingly varied, interesting and energetic, the attendance phenomenal, a full parking lot in addition to zillions of bikes! Thank you!”