Cool Davis is an active network of residents, community organizations, businesses and community institutions committed to implementing the City of Davis’s Climate Action and Adaptation Plan.
Our Mission is to inspire our community to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, adapt to a changing climate, and improve the quality of life for all.
Our Philosophy of Fun!
Climate change is serious — but in order to make change we must engage all of the community and all of our creativity in the process. Cool Davis actively incorporates the organizations and activities that help keep us creative like good food, laughter, music, art, poetry, dance, visual arts, and film.
Our Goals are based on the goals of the City of Davis Climate Action and Adaptation Plan. We are committed to:
- Achieve measurable greenhouse gas emissions reduction.
- Reduce carbon to 15% below 1990 levels by 2015.
- Reach Carbon Neutrality in our community by 2050.
Carbon Neutrality means doing everything possible to remove greenhouse gas emissions from our personal and communal activities, and mitigating any emissions that are not reduced, with renewable energy production.
Our Objectives are to:
- Engage 75% of Davis households in significant reductions of household green-house gas emissions by 2015 (15% below 1990 levels) and practicing a low carbon lifestyle
- Assist businesses and community organizations in implementing reductions in their output of greenhouse gases and practicing low carbon solutions within their organizations
- To collaborate with and support the implementation of the climate action planning of local public institutions especially the City of Davis, County of Yolo, Davis Joint Unified School District and the University of California at Davis
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. – Margaret Mead
Where we focus
Cool Davis has identified three major areas of green-house gas emissions where we will focus our reduction efforts within the community:
- Built energy – efficiency, conservation and energy production for our homes and commercial buildings
- Transportation – helping the community shift to non-fossil fuel vehicles and modes
- Consumption – reducing our consumption and waster of food, water, and goods and services
Working in partnership
Cool Davis operates under the umbrella of the Cool Davis Foundation a non-profit 501c3 organization (ID#27-3056050 ). There are now over 60 organizational partners and hundreds of individuals involved in Cool Davis.
Since its launch in 2010, the Cool Davis Initiative has:
- held prominent public events including talks, films, and the Cool Davis Festival in October 2010 that was attended by 1700 people
- Organized many low carbon diets across Davis
- Built a network supported by more than 40 community partners including businesses, voluntary and non-profit organizations, and faith groups
- Created an active and dynamic organization that enables action in its various projects and working groups