The Cool Davis Initiative is a network of citizens, community organizations, businesses and the City of Davis.
Our mission is to inspire our community to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, to adapt to a changing climate and to improve the quality of life for all.
The Cool Davis Initiative is working to engage 75% of our community in:
- Reducing carbon emissions 15% below 1990 levels by 2015
- Participating in the Davis Climate Action and Adaptation Plan (PDF) and meeting the City’s goal of carbon neutrality by 2050
The Cool Davis Initiative is implementing educational programs and special projects focused on carbon reduction throughout all aspects of community life. We believe that together we can promote a fun and creative vision of a low carbon future. We actively support other community institutions and organizations in achieving their carbon reduction goals.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. – Margaret Mead
Since its launch in 2010, the Cool Davis Initiative has:
- held prominent public events including talks, films, and the Cool Davis Festival in October 2010 that was attended by 1700 people
- Organised many low carbon diets across Davis
- Built a network supported by more than 40 community partners including businesses, voluntary and non-profit organisations, and faith groups
- Created an active and dynamic organisation that enables action in its various projects and working groups